02–03 July 2018
Wellcome Genome Campus, Hinxton, UK
We are pleased to announce the new Wellcome Genome Campus
Hackathon. This intensive two-day event will provide participants
with an opportunity to creatively and collaboratively address a relevant
challenge in the sphere of genomes and biodata. Participants will develop
solutions that offer impact while honing their creative, communication
and entrepreneurial skills.
The hackathon will be organised around several areas related to the use
of genomics and biodata to improve health outcomes. For example, how can
we use data to find new opportunities to diagnose and treat disease? How
can we capture and curate biodata more effectively? How can patients
share their data to benefit society? How can artificial intelligence
improve the use of biodata in healthcare?
Participants will work in teams alongside mentors and advisors from a
range of companies and organisations. These advisors will coach
participants through the steps required to turn a novel idea or
technology into a successful business. The outputs of all teams will be
presented at the end of the event, with a range of prizes awarded for
innovative solutions and outstanding or noteworthy efforts throughout the
Who should attend?
PhD students, post-doctoral researchers, business students, scientists
from pharma, biotech companies, local Universities, incubators, venture
builders and investors and others interested in the following:
- Inspiration to consider entrepreneurial and alternative career pathways and the confidence and intent to start to discover the possibilities and opportunities.
- Developing core transferable skills and knowledge for enterprise and entrepreneurship – including creativity, networking, communication and team working skills.
- Developing personal networks in terms of both their peers and connecting with entrepreneurial individuals and organisations.
- Gaining an appreciation of the innovation process and the steps required to take novel ideas and technologies forward into business opportunities or impactful solutions.
#BioDataHack will start with registration 9.30am on 2
July and finish at 3.30pm on 3 July 2018.
Advisors/mentors will coach participants through the steps required to
novel idea or technology into a successful business. Participants
will work in teams alongside
mentors and advisors from a range of
companies and organisations to solve one of the hackathon
- How can we map disease-drug target relationships using artificial intelligence and/or machine
- How can we combine data and genetic testing to intelligently prescribe drugs?
- How can we use mobile technology to transform biological data processing?
- How can we design a
clinical trial around the patient’s home?
- How can we predict opportunities to repurpose
drugs to treat unmet patient need?
For full details on challenges, see here.
There will also be a series of inspirational talks from leaders working
in biotech and venture capital.
A draft programme is available.
Organisers and speakers
Laura Hubbard Wellcome Genome Campus, UK
How to apply
Registration with no accommodation – £50.00
Registration with single accommodation – £65.00*
The registration fees include entrance, all meals and refreshments during
this two day event. Accommodation on Campus is optional; please
book early to avoid disappointment as spaces are limited.
Registration deadline: 19 June 2018
Accommodation is provided for the night of 2 July 2018
*Because to the generous support received from our event
partners, hackers will be able to secure overnight accommodation at a
heavily subsidised rate of just £15.00 per night, compared with the
normal rate of £71 per night.
Please note: there is limited onsite accommodation and
this will be
allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore,
registration is recommended.
If you wish to book onsite accommodation either side of the event dates,
please contact the Conference