Genomics for Educators
21 August–22 October 2023
FutureLearn | Online
Learn strategies and techniques for teaching genomics inside and outside the classroom
Duration: 3 weeks, 4 hours per week
Free Certificate of Achievement available on satisfactory completion
Start Date: The course is run ‘live’ for 3 weeks from the start date above (i.e. until 10 September). Once this period is over there will be no live monitoring of the forums, but you can still join the course during the remaining period until 22 October.
Why join this course?
Learn strategies and techniques for teaching genomics in and outside of the classroom to create enriching learning opportunities.
Who is this course for?
This course is designed for teachers and educators working in schools, colleges, and with young people. It will also be beneficial for science outreach and science communication professionals.
This course has been certified by the CPD Certification Service and the Royal Society of Biology.
Course start date
This course will start 21 August 2023
What will you cover?
- Discover the importance of incorporating genomics into your curriculum
- Develop your knowledge of teaching strategies and resources for genomics
- Explore the real-world application of genomics in healthcare and medicine
- Discuss the ethics of gene editing, genotyping, and other genetic testing
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Demonstrate and discuss genomics topics confidently in the classroom
- Create and deliver engaging, hands-on learning experiences using open access genomics resources
- Design schemes of work and lesson plans incorporating genomics
- Explore mapping of genomics to the curriculum and pitch material for different age and ability levels
- Discuss ethical implications of genomic technologies with students
Educators and Developers
Science Engagement Manager (Schools) for Wellcome Connecting Science, specialising in engaging secondary students with topics in genomics. Passionate about equity and inclusion
Head of Science Engagement and Enrichment for Wellcome Connecting Science, based at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge. Interested in Genomics, biomedical science, and the natural world.
Education Manager at Wellcome Connecting Science
Senior Education Developer at Wellcome Connecting Science
The Wellcome Connecting Science Courses and Conferences team are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Tests to validate your learning
- A PDF Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible