Genomic Scenarios in Primary Care
March 8th - 29th 2021
FutureLearn platform, online
Explore the role of genomics within primary care and learn how to manage patients with direct to consumer test results.
Duration: 3 weeks, 3 hours per week
Free Certificate of Achievement available on satisfactory completion
Start Date: The course is run ‘live’ for 3 weeks from the start date above. Once this period is over there will be no live monitoring of the forums, but you can still join and complete the course during the remaining period.
Why join this course?
The public are increasingly bringing results from genomic tests obtained through commercial routes. Most patients will present within primary care, but they may approach any clinician involved in their care. It is crucial that healthcare professionals presented with results from genomic testing have a working knowledge of how to manage these patients.
This unique course will give you the tools you need to understand the process of genomic testing within the primary care sector and the difference between direct to consumer testing.
Who is this course for?
This course is primarily for frontline primary care clinicians within the UK (GPs, Advanced Nurse Practitioners and Physician Associates) as well as medical students, trainees and educators interested in primary care worldwide.
Course start dates
This course will be repeated twice a year.
What topics will you cover?
- The types of genomic testing available
- Considerations and limitations of commercial genomic testing
- An overview of the NHS Genomics Medicine Service
- Assessment and management of patients presenting with genomic test results
- Ethical and communication issues pertaining to genomic testing
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- recognise how genomics issues may present in primary care
- use patient and family history as a tool to assess genomic risk
- communicate with patients about DTC testing and its limitations
- identify clinically relevant information from different types of genetic and genomic tests
- manage the patient pathway and institute appropriate clinical management of genetic and genomic concerns
- use familial data in accordance with ethical and data governance principles
A GP with a strong interest in genetics. He is a Reader in Primary Care and Genomics at the Institute for Medical and Biomedical Education, St George’s University of London
A GP trainer in South London with an interest in genomics
A GP and educationalist with a special interest in end of life care and communication skills.
A GP in Leeds and a researcher at the University of Nottingham. He has a long interest in rare and genetic diseases and the role of primary care.
A GP in Leeds and a GPwSI in Genetics within the Yorkshire Regional Genetics Service. She has a longstanding interest in Genetics Education and Service Development within Primary Care.
Wellcome Genome Campus Advanced Courses and Scientific Conferences are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Tests to validate your learning
- A PDF Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible